Joel K. GerberJoel is a partner with the law firm, Brannen, Searcy & Smith, LLP. Joel’s practice is concentrated on residential real estate closings, trusts and estates, corporate and probate law. He is licensed in both Georgia and South Carolina, and is a graduate of The University of Georgia (B.A., cum laude) and The University of Memphis School of Law.
Joel was selected as the Best Lawyer in Savannah (Connect Savannah) in 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019. He was voted the Best Real Estate Lawyer and Overall Lawyer in 2018 and 2019 in the Savannah Morning News “Best of the Best” edition. In addition, he was selected as a Georgia Super Lawyer in 2017, 2018 and 2019 (this honor is awarded to no more than 5% of the lawyers in the State of Georgia) and a Georgia “Rising Star” from 2011-2015 (this honor is awarded to no more than 2.5% of the lawyers in the State of Georgia under the age of 40).
Before moving to Savannah in 2007 from Atlanta, Joel was as an associate with both a preeminent, law firm with more than 1,000 attorneys, as well as a regional law firm with approximately 250 attorneys. At both firms, he primarily represented developers, general contractors, subcontractors and material suppliers in all areas of construction law.
The University of Georgia, A.B., cum laude, 1997
The University of Memphis, J.D., 2001
State Bar of Georgia
State Bar of South Carolina
American Bar Association
Honors and Awards:
- Super Lawyers – Georgia Rising Star (2011-2013 editions)
- Charles R. Yates Award for Outstanding Volunteer Service, Woodruff Arts Center (2004)
- E. Randolph Williams Award for Pro Bono Service, Hunton & Williams (2002, 2003)
- Construction Law Program for State and Local Government Attorneys and University Counsel: Pulling Together for a Winning Strategy, ABA Forum on the Construction Industry, October, 19, 2012 (Boston, MA)
- Project Delivery Systems Distinguished: How Roles Differ for Owners and Lenders with Changes in Delivery Method, ABA Forum on the Construction Industry, April 27, 2012 (Las Vegas, NV)
- Construction Law 101: Issues for the Government Lawyer, ABA Government and Public Sector Lawyers Division and Forum on the Construction Industry, October 6, 2011 (Teleconference)
- Estate Planning, Probate and Real Estate Asset Protection 101, The Georgia Society of CPAs, Savannah Chapter, May 18, 2011 (Savannah, GA)
- Title Standards: Mechanics’ and Materialmen’s Liens, Institute of Continuing Legal Education – State Bar of Georgia Real Property Section, October 6, 2010 (Atlanta, GA)
Email Joel Gerber