Joel K. GerberJoel is a Partner with the firm. Joel’s practice is concentrated on real estate law (i.e., residential and commercial real estate closings, lease review and drafting, landlord tenant disputes, real estate litigation, workouts), trusts and estates (i.e., wills, powers of attorney, advanced directive for healthcare, revocable trusts, life insurance trusts), corporate law (i.e., formation of limited liability companies and corporations), construction law (i.e., construction contract drafting, project consultation, dispute resolution, lien law, defective construction claims), and probate law (i.e., estate representation, conservatorships, guardianships). He has litigated in state and federal forums in multiple jurisdictions and has both mediated and arbitrated construction and commercial disputes.
For the past four years, Joel was selected as a Georgia Super Lawyers “Rising Star” (this honor is awarded to no more than 2.5% of the lawyers in the State of Georgia). He is involved in the American Bar Association Forum on the Construction Industry. Joel served as Chair of the Forum’s Legislation and Environmental Division from 2009-2011. He is a frequent lecturer on real estate issues, construction law topics, trust and estates and probate matters.
Before moving to Savannah in 2007 from Atlanta, Joel was as an associate with both a preeminent, international law firm with more than 1,000 attorneys, as well as a regional law firm with approximately 250 attorneys. At both firms, he primarily represented developers, general contractors, subcontractors and material suppliers in all areas of construction law.
The University of Georgia, A.B., cum laude, 1997
The University of Memphis, J.D., 2001
State Bar of Georgia
State Bar of South Carolina
American Bar Association
Honors and Awards:
- Super Lawyers – Georgia Rising Star (2011-2013 editions)
- Charles R. Yates Award for Outstanding Volunteer Service, Woodruff Arts Center (2004)
- E. Randolph Williams Award for Pro Bono Service, Hunton & Williams (2002, 2003)
- Construction Law Program for State and Local Government Attorneys and University Counsel: Pulling Together for a Winning Strategy, ABA Forum on the Construction Industry, October, 19, 2012 (Boston, MA)
- Project Delivery Systems Distinguished: How Roles Differ for Owners and Lenders with Changes in Delivery Method, ABA Forum on the Construction Industry, April 27, 2012 (Las Vegas, NV)
- Construction Law 101: Issues for the Government Lawyer, ABA Government and Public Sector Lawyers Division and Forum on the Construction Industry, October 6, 2011 (Teleconference)
- Estate Planning, Probate and Real Estate Asset Protection 101, The Georgia Society of CPAs, Savannah Chapter, May 18, 2011 (Savannah, GA)
- Title Standards: Mechanics’ and Materialmen’s Liens, Institute of Continuing Legal Education – State Bar of Georgia Real Property Section, October 6, 2010 (Atlanta, GA)
Email Joel Gerber